Comment on page
Clusters & Environments
To add cluster, go to the
Clusters & Environmentssection of
Global Configurations. Click Add cluster.
To add a Kubernetes cluster on Devtron using
server urland the
bearer token, provide the information in the following fields:
kubectlmust be installed on the bastion.
You can get the
Bearer Tokenby running the following command depending on the cluster provider:
k8s Cluster Providers
If you are using EKS, AKS, GKE, Kops, Digital Ocean managed Kubernetes, run the following command to generate the server URL and bearer token:
curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/devtron-labs/utilities/main/kubeconfig-exporter/kubernetes_export_sa.sh && bash kubernetes_export_sa.sh cd-user devtroncd
If you are using a
microk8s cluster, run the following command to generate the server URL and bearer token:
curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/devtron-labs/utilities/main/kubeconfig-exporter/kubernetes_export_sa.sh && sed -i 's/kubectl/microk8s kubectl/g' \
kubernetes_export_sa.sh && bash kubernetes_export_sa.sh cd-user \
- Disaster Recovery:
- It is not possible to edit the server URL of a cloud specific provider. If you're using an EKS URL (e.g.
*****.eu-west-1.elb.amazonaws.com), it will be a tedious task to add a new cluster and migrate all the services one by one.
- But in case of using a self-hosted URL (e.g.
clear.example.com), you can just point to the new cluster's server URL in DNS manager and update the new cluster token and sync all the deployments.
- Easy Cluster Migrations:
- In case of managed Kubernetes clusters (like EKS, AKS, GKE etc) which is a cloud provider specific, migrating your cluster from one provider to another will result in waste of time and effort.
- On the other hand, migration for a self-hosted URL is easy as the URL is of single hosted domain independent of the cloud provider.
To add clusters using kubeconfig, follow these steps:
- 1.First, navigate to the global configurations menu, and then go to "clusters and environment" section.
- 2.Click on the
Add clusterbutton. In the options provided, choose the
- 3.Next, either paste the kubeconfig file or browse for it and select the appropriate file.
- 4.Afterward, click on the
Get clusterbutton. This action will display the cluster details alongside the kubeconfig.
- 5.Select the desired cluster and click on
Saveto successfully add the cluster to Devtron.
Note: Please ensure that the kubeconfig file you use has
admin permissions. It is crucial for Devtron to have the necessary administrative privileges; otherwise, it may encounter failures or disruptions during deployments and other operations. Admin permission is essential to ensure the smooth functioning of Devtron and to prevent any potential issues that may arise due to insufficient privileges.
If you want to see application metrics against the applications deployed in the cluster, Prometheus must be deployed in the cluster. Prometheus is a powerful tool to provide graphical insight into your application behavior.
Note: Make sure that you install
Monitoring (Grafana)from the
Devtron Stack Managerto configure prometheus. If you do not install
Monitoring (Grafana), then the option to configure prometheus will not be available.
Enable the application metrics to configure prometheus and provide the information in the following fields:
Save Clusterto save your cluster on Devtron.
Your Kubernetes cluster gets mapped with Devtron when you save the cluster configurations. Now, the Devtron agent must be installed on the added cluster so that you can deploy your applications on that cluster.
When the Devtron agent starts installing, click
Detailsto check the installation status.
Install Devtron Agent
A new window pops up displaying all the details about the Devtron agent.
Once you have added your cluster in the
Clusters & Environments, you can add the environment by clicking
A new environment window pops up.
Saveand your environment will be created.
- You can also update an environment by clicking the environment.
- You can change
- You cannot change the
- Make sure to click Update to update your environment.